Interested in joining a small but dedicated team at one of the last outlets for local news? Beach Metro Community News is hiring for the position of reporter/photographer.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Passionate about journalism at the neighbourhood level
- Enthusiastic about digital and social media and wants to beat the dailies to the story
- A team player keen to contribute to an established but evolving newsroom
- An avid photographer
- Well versed in CP Style writing
Some of the things you’ll be doing:
- Pitching and reporting on stories unique to the Beach community – features, news and sports
- Photographing events and scenes around the Beach
- Developing and maintaining editorial content online and on social media
- Looking for and reporting on breaking news
- Contributing with staff and volunteers on distribution days
Some of the things we’d like you to have:
- Journalism diploma or degree or equivalent experience – two years experience preferred
- A nose for news and passion for telling the stories other outlets miss or ignore
- Interest, experience and enjoyment in visual storytelling
- Basic knowledge of the Beach and surrounding neighbourhoods
- Drive to develop relationships with a community that can seem smaller – and larger – than our 30,000 circulation would suggest
- Experience with Adobe software suite, Windows operating system, and WordPress
- Digital and social media know-how
The position is for 46 weeks annually, with much of July and August off. Evening and weekend work is required.
Email resume, a link to an online portfolio or writing and photography samples in PDF format, and salary expectations to email@example.com, attention to the General Manager by Monday, August 21.